Saturday, October 17, 2015

Did you get to see  "Everest" movie?
It's a new film that tells a story of the most tragic season on Everest.
I was afraid to see this American production, I would never want to watch the story of this great tragedy presented in a Holywood way, with many special effects and swift action. That's what it looked like in the trailer but fortunately "Everest" is not a complete failure.
The mountain is presented in a exceptionnaly detailed way. I always wanted to get a better idea of what this mountain looks like on the way to the top and that's what I got to see in this movie. I've read many descriptions of ledges or gutter ice, but I finally got a chance to see it in all its glory and it made me understand better every journey and accident I've read about in different books.
The only problem of this movie is that it's not that interesting for people who have never read anything about the accidents described there. I mean, surely, everyone understands that if a guy spends one night all by himself on the top of the mountain in the middle of a storm, it is not likely for him to get back to his tent.  But there is no explanation of the circumstances that made him stay there, no one says anything about the reason why there were no bottles with oxygen left that could have saved at least few people coming down to the camp...everything that made all this stories so touching and frustrating is not mentioned. It's the dark side of mountain climbing that should have been presented in a more clear way. If you want to see this movie, I recommend you reading "Dark Summit" first. It's a very interesting story of this terrible season on Everest, with many explanations and descriptions of what should have been done better and why so many people died that year. Not a very uplifting topic, but undoubtedly facinating.





1 comment:

  1. I think I will never understand people who take part in such expeditions. I like travels, trekking and a lot of diffrent activities but climbing the mountains like Himalayas or Alps is too dangerous... probably it's a question of passion ;)

    ReplyDelete